University of Aveiro
Established in 1973, the University of Aveiro quickly became one of the most dynamic and innovative universities in Portugal, that continuously develops and implements its mission to provide undergraduate and postgraduate education, generate research, and promote cooperation with society.
To study here is to be involved with a multicultural atmosphere and enjoy an amazing quality of life, beautiful white sandy beaches and unspoiled surroundings. By choosing the UAveiro, you will be choosing a University that enhances your skills, increases knowledge, and values training through its wide range of programmes, while living a relaxed, safe and vibrant life.
Attended by over 15,000 students, the UA has achieved a significant position amongst higher education institutions in Portugal and Europe, being among the top universities for the quality of its infrastructures, the strength of its research and the excellence of its staff.
The University of Aveiro is a founding member of the ECIU University, an EU-funded European University that will create a completely new educational model on a European scale, bringing together learners, teachers, and researchers to cooperate with cities and businesses and solve real-life challenges.
- Teaching and research experiences of excellence: here you will find some of the best teachers, known internationally for their field work, research methods and results, as well as 20 highly renowned research centers.
- Intercultural environment: in a universe of over 90 nationalities, you can expect to see, feel and live cultures from all around the globe. You will be able to participate in more than 80 intercultural events per year.
- Learn for the future: UA is a modern university with excellent infrastructures to learn and to start developing your career today. The university’s interdisciplinary atmosphere is crucial for the growth of critical knowledge.
- Student support: UA offers programmes for international students that allow them to become familiar with the Portuguese language or to level up their knowledge in core disciplines like Mathematics. In addition, you will find a team of fully dedicated professionals to help you in matters related to your studies and living abroad.
- International cooperation and mobility: While studying in Aveiro, you can take advantage of numerous mobility programs that will take your education experience to a whole different level, while living in a new country, meeting new people and learning new skills.
- Young and vibrant city: A medium sized city, with a modest cost of living, capable of combining both amazing natural spaces, such as beaches, mountains and rivers, and renowned innovation & tech events, projects and arts centers.
- A truly international university: Internationalization is of major importance to the UA ever since its foundation. In just 45 years the university came from being a very small institution to being a community over 15 thousand students, faculty, staff and researchers, coming from 90 different nationalities.
How can I apply to the University of Aveiro?
If you want to apply for a First Cycl degree, there is a special call for international students. it normally runs in different and autonomous phases, from January to June. All calendar and other information is available and up to date here.
If you want to apply for a Master or Ph.D. course, these applications will take place depending on the calls, which is a document that collates all information about the application process, number of places available, necessary documentation and the calendar of all the phases in the process, for each programme. you can find all information here.
- Do you have any scholarships for International students?
Yes, every year the University of Aveiro (UAveiro) reserves some incentive scholarships for students who meet the requirements determined by the UAveiro
For Undergraduate and Master courses, the University of Aveiro grants an incentive scholarship that translates into a reduction of the annual tuition fee. To benefit from the scholarship, enrolled international students must meet specific requirements. You can check all information about the International Students incentive scholarship here.
As for Ph.D. courses, you can get to know all opportunities here.
- Do I need to speak Portuguese to enroll at the University of Aveiro?
If you are applying for a First Cycle Degree, you should either prove you speak Portuguese or commit to learning the language, as all undergraduate courses are taught in Portuguese.
Campus Universitário de Santiago, Aveiro, Portugal